FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
GN'R 'Madagascar' questions ANSWERED (in under a year!)
Area 54 Forums Forum Index » ASK THE BAND » GN'R 'Madagascar' questions ANSWERED (in under a year!)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Area 54
Band

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: GN'R 'Madagascar' questions ANSWERED (in under a year!)

Finally, here are the Area 54 'Madagascar' answers to the general querstions that you've been asking. We've been promising to answer for ages. Sorry it's taken so long, but we've all been really busy.

1 - Since recording it, have you been threatened by Axl's lawyers?

Lakis : No, because we've kept our promise of not releasing it. They wouldn't take us to court for just recording the song, and
as we've stuck to our word, there's no problem between AREA 54 and Axl or his manager/label as far as we know.

2 - Are you going to release it on your next album?

Lakis : If we were to get the go ahead, it could be fun to do that, but I suspect that our new album will be out before Chinese Democracy (unless they really do drop the album in March this time), and they wouldn't let us release a cover of an unreleased Guns N' Roses track. We've had so much interest in the song that if we are ever to release it, we'll probably go back to the studio and fix a couple of things, because the
pressure is on more than we expected. I consider it a work in progress now rather than something that we just did for a laugh. Everyone wants to hear it, even the Axl haters, which is quite cool and funny to me! It's the first cover we've ever recorded, so I'm not used to the amount of e-mails I've had concerning the track and the people who actually come over to me at gigs to ask if they can hear it - even at a recent Arch Enemy/Strapping Young Lad gig!!! So yes, we're better known anyway, that's never a bad thing. Most Guns fans have been very supportive and have been behind us, apart from those who think we did it as a publicity stunt, which is far from the truth, but people will believe what they want.. If we didn't get asked about covers, we might never have mentioned it, so those wonderful users of Blabbermouth etc. who are going to tear into us, don't be so quick to, but if you're going to anyway, get your money's worth, people!

3 - Don't you think it's going to bother Axl?

Lakis : Why would it? We've respected his wishes & he should be happy that we've not just done 'Sweet Child O' Mine' like everyone else. It should show him that if it's already being covered, he's got nothing to worry about regarding the release of Chinese Democracy. Come on Axl, release that bad boy Smile

4 - You've said to Sp1at.com that it was a last minute idea to record it, so how good is it?

Lakis : Fucking excellent! Like we said, a couple of things could sound better, but considering it was a silly last minute idea, it's still a seriously brilliant version of the song.

5 - Why did you record this particular GN'R track?

Lakis : Originally it was purely for fun. I was at the Leeds show back in 2002, they played it there. Hearing it live just blew us away. I wanted to hear a studio version, and at least I have now!

6 - If you were to do another unreleased GN'R cover, which would you pick?

Lakis : Haha, good question! 'The Blues' maybe, it's one of those grow on you songs if you like that kind of thing. It wouldn't be 'Silkworms', but I don't want to do anything else, so it's not going to happen.

7 - I heard the internet buzz about you doing a version of MADAGASCAR and the forums were buzzing with talk about your effort.
I was wondering when we are gonna be able to hear your track? are you going to release an mp3? Whats the situation there????

Lakis : No mp3's, sorry!! We don't want it out there until we have permission...If that ever happens.

8 - How different is it to the Guns N' Roses version?

Lakis : We've sort of stayed true to the original. We didn't add any of the orchestra that Axl has added to their studio version, the middle section was a problem, because if you take out the Martin Luther King quotes etc., that section would not work at all, so we changed a few root notes in that section of the song and added a fucking cool solo in there instead, which gave that section a weird feel of the older style Guns breaking out, which was not intentional, but I'm glad it came out that way. Ours is heavier too, we've put serious heaviness to the guitars, but it's all tasteful, we've just Area 54'd it up real nice! Even if we can't release it, the new Area 54 album is going to surprise a lot of people. It's like a different band, and we've come a long way, so add that to your shoplifting list of 2006.

Meanwhile, if you've not checked out our clips of us recording, have a look soon, as we might have to take them down at some point soon.

If these answers open up any more questions, feel free to ask, but I think we've answered it all.

Cheers
Area 54

Area 54
 Back to top »
Sleepy_Time
Groupie

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to hear it if we ever get the chance. Can't wait for the new area 54 album either! Very Happy
 Back to top »
Purple Madgirl
Conqueror

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Hey

been looking forward to reading them!

thanks guys

i really wish i could hear it sometime!!!!!

Yay for new albums!

Back to top »
madagascar54
Groupie

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject:

chinese democracy aint ever gonna be released. madagascar is your song now. release it !
 Back to top »
Slasher54
Killer

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject:

it doesnt have to be release dfor us to hear it Wink get it stuck on the front page of the site man or on ya myspace thingy bob Wink do itttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!! Laughing

Or ya could just play it at gigs over the sound system? Razz dont have to be released for us to hear it Wink Wink *nudge nudge*
DDave
Killer

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Putting it anywhere that the public can hear it would very probably consitute a release, even in a terrible quality streaming format. Playing it in public may also bring about the wrath of lawyers.

Be patient and when/if Axl gets his record out, the 54 version will probably follow. Hey, it's only ten years or so late....
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sleepy_Time
Groupie

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject:

You made Blabbermouth guys, you're famous! I want the new album now

Very Happy

http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=47090
 Back to top »
jjack

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: feb 23 concert

u guys roked! u gotta make a live cd or dvd cz u were wkd live
 Back to top »
Area 54 Forums Forum Index » ASK THE BAND » GN'R 'Madagascar' questions ANSWERED (in under a year!)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: