FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Bring out your Dead - concept album?
Area 54 Forums Forum Index » AREA 54 » Bring out your Dead - concept album?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triaxial
Groupie

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Bring out your Dead - concept album?

I couldn't help but think this as I listened to it today. I know for the most part it probably isn't, but I pictured the narrator of each song (aside from blood on our hands) as someone going through some real shit in the world, and having zero luck in all of their personal experiences. Especially by the time Losing Grip rolls around, the emotional pain starts to crescendo... and it is so much more powerful a song than it seemed on the demo (although even then it was a ball-buster). Not all the songs are about being trashed on though, its certainly very empowering at the same time, but I just had an overwhelming sense of crushing loneliness, and its affecting me in a really strong way.

So - has anyone else thought of the album this way, or is it just weird little me? Perhaps I will write a short story of the album, if I can get a plot to run through it, I'm meant to be creative writing anyways!
CHaRLoTTe
Conqueror

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject:

WOW! Sam that's a really good way at looking at it! I didn't think of it that way!

I think you should write a short story based on the album! I personally would love to read it!

The album has helped me personally a lot laterly - and it rocks because i get frustrated when I can't explain or understand how I feel, now all I have to do is put on Bring Out Your Dead, and it's all expressed for me!
Groupie

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject:

I never looked at it that way before either, but that's actually spot on. Can't wait to read your story on it either.
Triaxial
Groupie

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject:

*UPDATE!*

By complete coincidence (but probably not, I just forgot), we have to write a creative piece for one of my modules on the "Creative Voice", in any format, based on something like an image or a song. So I'm going to be writing a story based on bring out your dead for definite! It's going to be in first person perspective, with the main question of "why me?" interrupting the character's every movement. It will be partially autobiographical I'm sure, but some of those songs are above things I've felt in my life, and I want to capture their essence. Should be fun! I will link people to the finished piece when it's done (I've got a good month to work on it over Easter).
CHaRLoTTe
Conqueror

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Sounds fantastic I look forward to it!! Smile
Conqueror

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject:

sounds fantaastical hun!

i can't wait to read it... i really loved my creative writing sections at uni - an entire degree would have been fantastical!!!

YAY brilliant!

Back to top »
Triaxial
Groupie

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject:

Also!

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would say... Does anyone remember the ages-old Rob.avi video of mister hillman in the studio? There was one bit that always stuck with me, and it's really really obviously the end of Political Correctness Cool I'm not sure if it's cool or sad that I know this. Not to rain on Mr Dek's parade at all, but ahhh, Rob is a damn fine drummer. I wish him well wherever he is now.

Does anyone have a favourite breakdown or solo, or singalong bit yet? Nothing to believe in possibly has the best chorus, but possibly because I'm listening to it now. OPINIONS PLEASE CHAPS!!
MattBlack
Stalker

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject:

I think one of my favourite bits is the stab 13 seconds into Excuses.

The blending of the two vocal styles just after the midway point in Political Correctness, the liberal use of the ride in the middle of Losing Grip, the way the Wah solo breaks in in the second half of Wasted Days (it's just so Slash), and the perfect crispness of the guitar work during the intro to No Reward...

A good album has amazing bits you can show off to your friends, and this has them in abundance.
Band

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Triaxial wrote:
Also!

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would say... Does anyone remember the ages-old Rob.avi video of mister hillman in the studio? There was one bit that always stuck with me, and it's really really obviously the end of Political Correctness Cool I'm not sure if it's cool or sad that I know this. Not to rain on Mr Dek's parade at all, but ahhh, Rob is a damn fine drummer. I wish him well wherever he is now.

Does anyone have a favourite breakdown or solo, or singalong bit yet? Nothing to believe in possibly has the best chorus, but possibly because I'm listening to it now. OPINIONS PLEASE CHAPS!!

No problem! I think the drumming on the album is awesome, Rob did a fine job and I personally think it's his best and most dynamic album, rhythmically.

Dek
Area 54 Forums Forum Index » AREA 54 » Bring out your Dead - concept album?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: