Memberlist Usergroups
Register
USeless technology
Area 54 Forums Forum Index » MY HATE » USeless technology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purple Madgirl
Conqueror

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: USeless technology

We ordered a tom tom europe for our holiday in spain and so that we could not get lost - getting lost round brum the other week was the final straw.

We decided we needed one.

So we ordered it to come to my parents so it was definately arrived on time.
Got it out last night when we arrived - decided to sort it out and when we plugged it into get Kit's voice on ( nightrider Kit) it told us it needed to upgrade the softwear and suggested the download.
It basically fucked it.

So now we dont even have the fucking tom tom that we ordered specificially the europe one - aka more expensive because it was europe friendly.
Amazon will take it back - but it is a big frigging late.
So now my parents are going to go and buy one instead but it take the fucking piss.

I mean - dave works in computer land for a living - he's hardly a moron with technology!

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Back to top »
MattBlack
Stalker

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject:

Can't those TomToms be factory reset with a USB cable and the CD that came with it? Should be a case of plugging the TomTom into your computer and running the CD and selecting the 'Restore Factory Settings' option (or similar). If you can get that going, the TomTom should return to the exact state it was when you pulled it out of the box first time. I'd suggest then you don't fuck around with the voices Razz

I love those SatNav things - they are so useful, though you can easily fail to learn where you're going. I stop reading signs almost entirely when I'm using a TomTom - I just make sure I don't crash, and blindly follow the (slightly sexy husky voiced*) instructions. This means that if I've got to travel the same route without the SatNav, I'm lost immediately.

* this probably speaks volumes about my recent love-life, or total lack thereof.
Conqueror

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject:

Lol
wel tried all that and tom tom told us just to return it back to amazon - which really isnt good enough lol - we dont need one next week - we need it now!!!!!!

plus dave just wants to play with his new toy Wink

Ive got a bizarely male sense of direction but it doesnt help in cities now adays where its all one way systems that arent marked down. ive had enough of getting somewhere really stressed.

I think i find that with the satnav its great once ive been somewhere once - i can just find myself there without knowing how i did it - if i had to get to Mia's i could probably get there without even thinking even though ive not driven there in years.

I must admit iwas worried that i wouldnt lost my skills but i think i wont because my internal map is just great.

Back to top »
MattBlack
Stalker

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject:

I've read in a couple of different places that Female and Male brains deal with routes in a different way. Men tend to remember a map, like a birds-eye-view of the surrounding area, whereas Women remember a set of instructions like "3rd right, 1st left, 2nd exit".

Wierd, I guess. The consequence of these different types of navigating is that the Male can work out alternatives if something turns up as blocked, and Females actually remember the correct route more reliably. This was just some study, but I've seen it confirmed by several friends, though it's probably not a 100% rule.
Killer

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject:

My Dad had one that went belly up. Even when it was working it got really confused and would often give you directions for a quick detour before getting you going in vaguely the right direction. Nice idea, but really, not that great (yet).
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Purple Madgirl
Conqueror

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject:

MattBlack wrote:
I've read in a couple of different places that Female and Male brains deal with routes in a different way. Men tend to remember a map, like a birds-eye-view of the surrounding area, whereas Women remember a set of instructions like "3rd right, 1st left, 2nd exit".

Wierd, I guess. The consequence of these different types of navigating is that the Male can work out alternatives if something turns up as blocked, and Females actually remember the correct route more reliably. This was just some study, but I've seen it confirmed by several friends, though it's probably not a 100% rule.

yeah i heard much of that too

but i seem to have a full on map in my head - i always knew my way round here but i found when i moved to London and again to nottingham, it took me no time at all to work out the quickest routes through and had to show it to dave to prove that it worked and you could go that way.
It makes life shed loads easier and i always love having different routes to go - i get really agitated when there is no other way round Wink

Back to top »
Area 54 Forums Forum Index » MY HATE » USeless technology
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: